After a lay day was called yesterday at the Reef Bali Pro 2010 at Halfways on Kuta Beach in anticipation of larger surf today, the contest organizers were greeted by small but clean conditions so decided to run the Women’s Division heats get the action started.
After two heats that were essentially the Women’s semifinals, last year’s Coca-Cola ISC Women’s Champion Bonne Gea along with Jasmine Haskell, Febri (Rohaye) Ningsih, and Dyah Dewi earned themselves a spot in the final that is scheduled to take place on Saturday.
Wave conditions were averaging two feet with some lengthy lulls in between the sets, so at approximately 10 am the announcement was made that Round 1 of the Open Division would not be run. According to the swell charts a sizeable swell should be reaching Bali at any moment, so with four more days left in the waiting period there is ample time in which to be patient and wait for optimum wave conditions.
The next few days will be full of action, with not only the top pro surfers in Indonesia competing for prize money, prestige, and championship points, the Reef International team riders will also be putting on expression sessions that are guaranteed to wow the spectators on the beach while they soak up the sun, drink some cold Coca-Cola, and enjoy all the great attractions on offer at Kuta Beach.
The surfers were told to standby at the beach tomorrow morning at 7 am for the start of Round 1. Attached is the heat draw for tomorrow’s lineup.
Photos and text: Tim Hain – Coca-Cola ISC Tour
1. Seminyak local Dyah Dewi ripping her way into a finals berth
2. Febri came all the way from Padang in Sumatra to compete in the Reef Bali Pro
3. Ariya didn’t make it into the final, but she showed great form and made a good effort
4. A beautiful morning at Halfways, Kuta Beach
5. Everything set up at the judges panel in the Coca-Cola ISC tower
6. Reef Bali Pro and a perfect beach set up