Round 1 and the first four heats of Round 2 were completed today in the Reef Bali Pro at Kuta Beach, as the highly anticipated increase in swell finally arrived resulting in glassy 3 foot waves for most of the morning.
Standouts during the morning’s session included Kadek Murtika from Canggu, who found the head-high lefthanders coming in from the south very much to his liking, resulting in a Round 3 berth as his reward for taking first in his Round 1 and Round 2 heats.
The wave of the day honor belongs to a lucky Dewa Ardika from Kuta, who in the final minute of his Round 2 heat slotted into the only barrel of the morning and managed to find the doggy door, going from last place in the heat to second, thereby dodging an early exit and gaining himself a spot in the third round.
Of historical significance was the presence of Affan from the island of Sumba competing in his first ever Coca-Cola ISC event. The Rob Machado look-alike has been living and surfing in Bali for a while, but has never competed in a formal competition until today. Although he failed to advance into Round 2 with his third place finish in Round 1, he showed that he could surf with power and style so no doubt we will see more and better results from him in future Coca-Cola ISC events as his contest experience increases.
The contest organizers called a stop to the action at just after 11pm due to the low tide and strong wind conditions. Action will resume tomorrow morning at 6:30 am, with the higher tide and less wind setting things up for the remainder of Round 2 and at least the completion of Round 3. See attached heat draw for tomorrow’s lineup.
Photos and text: Tim Hain – Coca-Cola ISC Tour
1. Kadek Murtika ripping through his early heats and into a Round 3 berth
2. Sumba surfer Affan showing his Machado-like style
3. The tip of Dewa Ardika’s surfboard leading him out of the only barrel of the day.
4. Dewa Ardika’s reaction to the MC’s announcement that he placed second in his heat and advances to Round 3
5. Light rain and clouds started off the morning at Kuta Beach
6. Fans cheering on their favorite surfers in early round action at the Reef Bali Pro